This is the Dog's Bollocks (this means "The Best" in British slag). You have to try this and you will be converted to be a British food lover, forever. It's the ultimate comfort food and easy family meal pleaser.
This is also said to be a traditional Irish dish, so it's perfect for St. Pat's Day. But, whether you are British, Irish... or whatever, you have to make this.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups grated English cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 300
- Boil large pan salted water add potatoes cook until tender, mash with 4 tablespoons butter and cheese, put to one side
- Heat oil in large skillet on low/medium heat, add onion and carrots, cook for 5-7 minutes until soft, don't color
- Stir in flour and butter, cook for 2 minutes remove veg from pan, set to one side
- Using same skillet, break up ground beef, cook for 4 minutes (until pink has gone)
- Add tomato paste, beef broth, herbs, cooked vegetables then season with Kosher salt and black pepper
- Grease a large 9'' x 12'' oven proof dish, layer all the beef and veg mixture, then spoon on the mashed potato, smooth down with back of fork and sprinkle with cheese, bake for 20 minutes.
More delicious goodness from Sam The Cooking Guy right here!